A leading actress was recently waylaid, harassed, humiliated for almost 2 hours in a moving car on one of Kerala's busiest corridors. The incident fetched monumental media coverage which in turn made this the talk of the town. This is nothing new for us as we heard of many such terrible incidents even in not so distant past as well. Surprisingly it never had any impact on our approach to such heinous crimes? To any such incident, we the average Indian possess the following 6 traits.
1. Sympathize: Majority of us fall in this category. Whenever such act occurs, we sympathize religiously & forget the same conveniently after couple of days.
2. Politicize: Pass the buck immediately in order to maintain reputation. We have myriad of such politicians. For ruling party, this is "an isolated case" & for opposition, it's deterioration of law & order.
3. Fatalistic: For them, such incidents are inevitable & no escape. Even though, they possess a defeatist attitude, they are interested in scanning through all minute things... time of the crime...duration of crime...profile of victim...age of accused etc. Just to quench the curiosity, nothing else.
4. Indifferent behavior: Most dangerous category among us. They maintain an attitude "so long as not happening to me, who cares"? If you sleep when injustice happens, then wait....you will be next.
5. Strong annoyance: They get upset so soon & take strong protests but never ever convert their exasperation's to resolutions.
6 Mileage Makers: Most of our media comes under this. They always in pursuit of such "interesting stuff" for them. They either glorify or rationalize depending on victims category, aiming only their TRP / circulation. Many of our media persons have gathered PhD in victimizing a victim.
In a nutshell, we generally get amused when somebody gets abused. The end result; we have developed a society where the accused freely roam around & the victim moves to isolation!! Friends, We may not be part of the problem but we are not part of the solution either. If we are not part of the solution, then WE are the PROBLEM.
As somebody rightly said, "the world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it". A women needs to respected not because they are women but because we are gentlemen. Let us together make this world a safer / better place for our women.
Dedicated to the humankind....